Some Basics about the Fuelperks Program

by Christy on September 2, 2011

in Fuelperks

Now that Winn Dixie has rolled out Feulperks to so many new markets, I thought it would be a good idea to post about the basics of the program. Since I only have about 4 weeks of personal experience with Fuelperks myself, I asked  The Fabulous Amy if she would write up some tips for using the Fuelperks program and she graciously agreed (I told you she was Fabulous).

If you are a Fuelperks user and want to chime in with any good advice for those of us that are new to Fuelperks – or if you have any questions – leave a comment and either Amy or I will answer! Take it away, Amy!

For every $50.00 you spend at participating Winn Dixie stores with your Fuelperks Winn Dixie Rewards card, you will earn a 5 cents per gallon discount on gasoline (up to 20 gallons) at participating gas stations (excluded items – Pharmacy purchases, Tobacco, Lottery tickets, Postage stamps, WD gift cards)

Rewards are calculated AFTER store discounts and store coupons but BEFORE manufacturer coupons

• Example:  Cereal is on sale for $3.99 BOGO and you have (2) $1.00 off coupons, your cost would be $1.99 for the 2 boxes but you would get credit for $3.99 spent.

There is no limit on the amount of fuelperks rewards that you can earn.  If the Fuelperks rewards you earn in a particular period exceed the price of gas per gallon, the balance will roll over (not a problem in my household, we fight over who gets to use it!)

Rewards expire at the end of the month following the month in which they were earned.  So, rewards earned in August will expire at the end of September, etc. Rewards totals and expiration dates will appear on your receipt but you can also check your rewards online.

Tips and Tricks:

• Be sure your current mailing address information is associated with your Rewards card, this will allow you not to miss out on any notices (and coupon booklets!)
  • Bonus reward items are advertised weekly for additional savings.
  • Buy Gas gift cards for gas stations where you can use your fuelperks rewards.
  • If you are a member of the Baby Club, you will earn 10 cents for each $25.00 spent on baby products in addition to the other special offers and benefits.
  • If you are an online shopper, shop through Fuelperks.com and instead of earning cash back, you will earn additional fuelperks rewards.
  • Reward card savings are limited to 20 gallons, so if your vehicle holds less than 20 gallons, take a gas can with you or fill up multiple vehicles (if your gas station allows this, some do not for safety reasons).

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

jolene hernandez July 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM

what does doubl bns thrshld mean???

Dennis September 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I just left Winn Dixie and I used my rewards card however when I returned home I went to look at my receipt for my savings but my receipt has “Sales Toward Next dbl fuelprk” what does that mean? Thanks

Dennis September 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Oh and it had an amount of $34.48. Help :)))

Christy September 17, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Hm – that’s actually something I haven’t seen before! If anything is changing with the Fuelperks program and I hear about it, I will post something on the main page of the site – I would suggest that you ask your Customer Service desk about that when you shop next.

Wayne August 20, 2012 at 2:46 AM

If I return an item that I got fuel perks rewards for do they take the fuel perks away from you?

Christy August 20, 2012 at 6:18 AM

I’m honestly not sure – I don’t think I’ve ever had to do that. You might want to check with your customer service desk just so that you know what to expect.

ashley August 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I am a new rewards card customer and just used it for the first time on the bottm of my receite i have 80 cents fuel perks and 70 cents bonus fuel perks so does that mean you add them both together to get the amount off per gallon 1.50 off a gellon?

Christy August 12, 2012 at 8:53 AM

No – the total amount should be 80¢ Fuelperks. They just break out the Bonus Fuelperks for you as well so that you know where everything is coming from. Still, 80¢ discount is pretty nice! :)

ashley August 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I’m a new rewards card customer and I just went shopping I’m trying to understand at the bottom of my receite it says I have 80cents fuel perks off per gellon and then it says I have 70 cents bonus fuel perks. Does that mean I add both numbers together and I get 1.50 off a gallon?

dave February 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

BEWARE I told the Mobil attendent I wanted twenty gallons of gas so she punched in some buttons and told me to swipe my fuel perks card and my depit card. I went out and started to pump and it stopped at 20 dollars. I went back in and told her I said 20 gals and she was sorry but she said I can only swipe the fuel perks card once and get the discount . That I would have to start saving fuel perks again and had lost the rest which was at 55 cents per gal. I was pissed and learned a vaulable lesson. Also they charge 5 cents per gal on your fuel perks for using plastic to pay for it, so I offered to pay cash and she said she cant take cash to pay for fuel perks gas , hows that for wesseling another 5 cents out of us. So beware make sure the attendent knows what you want and mean, you can only swipe that card once per fuel perk purchase.

rose November 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I just spent about 280 in grocery’s, and the checker let me know I will recieve $.25 cents off a gallon. Shopped on 18 NOV so the fuel perks will expire 31 DEC

Rich September 12, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I used this alot in Fort Lauderdale. My tank is 44 gallons, so it would only give me half a tank (I drive an Excursion).

I just moved to Georgia, and I miss this program. No Winn Dixies for over 150 miles. Krogers up here has a similar program, but it caps at $1.00 discount max. It is good for up to 35 gallons, though.

Maggi September 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I’m curious to see if anyone has had this experience. I ordered and received a new Winn Dixie card with the Fuel Perks on it and started to use in on purchases. However, I noticed that I stopped getting my usual printed out $5/55 coupons once a week and pretty much have gotten little or no Catalina coupons printing out. Maybe it was just a string of bad luck and I’ll try it again, but I really count on getting one $5/$55 coupon a week and if the new fuel perks cards don’t give me as many of those, I may just go back to my old card.
Thanks!

Christy September 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Maggi I noticed the same thing when I switched to my new Fuelperks card in early August – I think maybe you have to spend a certain dollar amount with each card to trigger the printing of the $5/$55s – this is just a theory, so I’d be interested to know everyone else’s experience! I hadn’t gotten a $5/$55 with the new card until this past week – and as you can see from my weekly totals, I did a big grocery run last week so maybe the threshold is $250-$300? I’ll let you know if I continue to get them regularly!

Fabulous Amy September 4, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I have had my Fuelperks card for years and I get a $5/$55 coupon every week regardless of the amount I spend – all I needed was milk one week and the coupon still printed. I tend to think it may just be because your fuelperks card is new. Keep in mind Fuelperks is not exclusive to WD and neither is the Catalina program. Perhaps all of your information just hasn’t be linked together. I would suggest speaking with the store manager first, then contacting Fuelperks and/or Catalina.

Maggi September 5, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Thanks for the responses, Christy and Amy, I think I will check with my stor manager. :)

Deborah September 5, 2011 at 5:09 PM

It happened to me as well. I switched to the new card around one month after they started in my area (to be honest I do not remember how long ago it was, but less than 1 year). I was used to get the fabulous $5/30 every single week. I went to the manager when I had 2 weeks in a row and I did not get any and he told me that the system takes a while to give you catalinas since there is no history, no pattern of how you purchase. I would say that about 4 months ago I started getting those $5/55 every week, I just scan my card and the machine is printing before I even start scanning my items.

I would say dont get discouraged and try to buy something at least once a week.

jairizarry September 2, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I just thought of one more way to save. I have 4 kids in college – yes, it happens! One of them lives at home and has his own car to commute to school. My idea is this, we wait until I’m close to empty, then I fill up my 14 gallon tank with Fuel Perks discount, then I move up my car and put the last 6 gallons in his car.

The QUESTION is, would this work?, is this better than the gas can idea (my husband vetoed that on safety issues).

Opinions, please :)

Fabulous Amy September 3, 2011 at 2:53 PM

We have done this before, it works great. Our only problem is getting 2 family members at the same gas station at the same time! :)

Smitha September 2, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I have a question too… I bought a few $50 Shell Gas cards when there was the $10 off promotion at Publix a few weeks back. My question is – while buying gas, is it possible to use more than one gift card in one transaction ?

Fabulous Amy September 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Hi Smitha! I would guess that would be up to the gas station but I wouldn’t see why not ….

jairizarry September 2, 2011 at 8:30 PM

First – use the $10 gift card to buy $10 worth of gas. That will only be about 3 gallons depending on price. You COULD use the Fuel Perks, but it would only apply to the 3 gallons. HanWhen you use 2 gift cards, each purchase will be a separate transaction. So, if you have a $10 CVS gas card, a Fuel Perks discount, and an empty tank – here is the best way to purchase.
First – use the $10 gift card to buy $10 worth of gas. That will only be about 3 gallons depending on price. You COULD use the Fuel Perks, but it would only apply to the 3 gallons. Hang up the pump and get receipt.
Next, swipe WD card and get your per gallon discount. Now, fill up remaining 7 to ? gallons that fill your tank (up to the limit). In this way, you get the Fuel Perks discount on the most gallons!
If your tank fills on less than $50 worth of gas, then use the Fuel Perks for the entire purchase.
I love these programs!
jairizarry

Deborah September 5, 2011 at 5:28 PM

It is ABSOLUTELY possible to use 2 or more gift cards if you do the transaction inside with a cashier. That is what my husband does every time we have a remaining amount on one gift card and we have another new one. Of course we do use the 20 gallons, my husband waits until his car is empty and also takes a gas can with him. He goes inside, swipes the winn dixie card, gets the price adjusted, then he tells them he is buying 20 gallons they give him the total after fuel perks and then he swipes the gift card, if it is not enough to cover, the machine will give you the remaining amount and you can pay that with another gift card or credit card or cash.

stephanie September 2, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Fuel Perks are the best! My husband and I moved to Panama City Beach, FL last December. So after stocking up my kitchen and other regular shopping trips, I had $1.90 off per gallon up to 20 gallons! The only thing that I don’t like is my car only has a 14 gal tank, so I waste some of my savings. Oh well, still way worth it!

Christy September 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Stephanie, I have the same problem – I have a 13-gallon tank and I HATED to see that discount get wasted the first time I filled up with my Fuelperks discount. I am going to buy a gas can from Walmart this weekend and try filling that up with the remainder of my gallons – my husband can use it in the mower or we can fill up the car at home, but I’m not letting that discount go to waste again!

suzanne September 2, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Thanx for the into lesson, but I still dont quite get it…everytime I spend $50 I get .05 off each gal one time purchase of 20 gal…right? Is this coumulative..ie $7.. 20x that month =$140=2x .05 or .10 per gal on a total purchase of 20 gal..and I loose the $40 that didnt hit the $50 limit? Now for the item bonuses…friskies bonus is .10/1…buy 1 get an additional .10 off each gal or off total fuel total? Buy 10 get 1.00 off each gal or total?…I plan to take full advantage f this if I can….comeon fuelperks experts chime in….

Fabulous Amy September 2, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Hi Suzanne! Yes, the rewards are cumlative- so for your example, if you spend $140.00 (in one trip or in multiple trips), you woud earn 10 cents and still have credit for the remaining $40.00 spent. For the bonus items, if you purchased 10 of an item with a bonus of .10/1, you would earn $1.00 off of each gallon = $20.00 savings on a 20 gallon fuel purchase. Great questions, keep them coming!

Christy September 2, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I’m still learning too but here’s how I understand it to work (if I’m wrong, someone please correct me!)

I BELIEVE that your Fuelperks rewards don’t start their “expiration clock” until you hit the $50 threshold. The bottom of your receipt each time you shop will tell you how much you’ve earned in rewards and how much you have to spend to hit your next 5¢ discount.

For example, right now I have a $.35 per gallon discount that will expire at the end of September and my receipt tells me that I have spent $4.25 toward my next $50 discount threshold. So that $4.25 is kind of in limbo until I hit the discount threshold, THEN it will tell me when the discount will expire. Does that make sense?

For Fuelperks Bonus Rewards – if you buy 10 of an item with a 10¢ per item Fuelperks bonus, you will get $1 discount off 20 gallons of gas in addition to your ‘regular’ Fuelperks that you get each time you spend $50. So some people can actually get FREE fill-ups if they shop the Bonus Rewards items – and given the price of gas lately, that’s a nice perk!

suzanne September 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Thanx girls…cant wait to get started…vroom vroom…

Megan September 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM

It’s being advertised in Ocala, FL on the radio, but it’s not here yet. I emailed and they said it will be out 9/28!

teri richardson September 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I make sure I wait until I am on empty to use my fuelperks. That way I’m saving more!

suzanne September 2, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I just saw the fuelperks kiosk in orlando….they say about a month till its here…yay